Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 29, 2011

More Crafty aprons with instructions

After a week of nursing a sick husband, I finally convinced him to go to Dr. I have been working on the bookkeeping of the farm account for 2010 and have it completed, now on to the household or personal account. It is reason to enough to keep up with this on a monthly basis and not let it slide as I have this year.
So decided to take a short break from the bookkeeping and start on some aprons, I will up load some pictures. They are so easy and fun to make. I am sure all your children and  grandkids would love them, I have made both cook's, chef's and carpenter ones for my grandkids. I made the carpenter ones from overall denim, It takes so little yardage, I used leftovers on all of mine. It is fun to mix prints to make them more fun.
My sister got me started on these, She uses fat quarters for most of hers. Instruction are easy. I used a small
apron from a workshop of a home improvement store as a pattern for the one I am working on now. I also purchased a pre-printed Daisy Kingdom one and used it as a pattern for some. I drafted the pattern from it before sewing it up. I added inches to the length for both of them to make larger sizes. The orginal was a 3-4 size on both of these. I wanted some for taller kids, the older or taller the kids are determines how many inches to add to the pattern. You can either make your own bias binding for the straps and apron string ties or used purchased bias.  I used purchased bias on all of these so far. I do plan on making some bias of my own but I was on a time budget this time.McCalls Pattern 5997 Fashion Aprons Mother and Daughter Aprons is another option and I have also used the pattern above for some of mine
This apron takes just 1/2 yd of main color,6 "  x 17' piece for pockets, 2 pkgs of double fold bias tape
  1.  To make the blue one, Take a square of 17", fold in half and mark 3 1/2" from center fabric at the top of  Make cut 7' down angle curved cut similar to armholes, 
  2.  Cut a 5 1/2' strip of coordnating fabric for pockets.
  3.  Encase the top of pocket with double fold bias take in matching color.
  4.  pin pocket to bottom of apron,.sew to apron at the center to make pockets,
  5. Starting at the "arm"  enclose the three sides and the bottom of apron and pocket together with double fold bias tape.
  6.  Enclose the bib top with double fold bias tape.
  7.  cut a piece of double fold bias tape 60" in length. enclose the curved edges, leaving 16" at the top for neck loop leaving 22" on each side for ties. You are done

No comments:

Post a Comment